Saturday, March 3, 2012

#36 Vollkornbrot


It has been about five weeks since I've posted anything. I've still been baking, but I just haven't made it back to the blog. Unfortunately, that means I'm writing from rapidly fading memories. So I'll keep these next few entries short.

This is a heavy, dense bread. You often hear the expression "sandwich rye." Then, by extension, this must be a cracker rye. This certainly isn't a bread I'd use to make sandwiches, but it is quite appropriate to eat with cheese or deli meats, very much the way you would use a cracker. In generally, these heavy 100% ryes don't work well for me, but this one came out quite well. This was something of a surprise.

I've made Hamelman's version of this. I preferred this one, but, considering my track record with ryes, I may not be being fair to Hamelman.

Overall, a pleasant loaf (and a pleasant surprise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment