Sunday, March 4, 2012

#39 Swedish Limpa Rye


After the last two fiascos with rye bread, I decided it was time to change my strategy and shift to making ryes by hand rather than using my Kitchenaid mixer. This, I reasoned, would give me greater control and a better feel for the dough. And, as the next bread was another rye, it was time to make the switch.

And I have to admit, the strategy seems to have paid off. While not a perfect loaf, this was a considerable improvement over the last few loaves. This was a much lighter and well behaved loaf with a nice crumb. It wasn't quite as light as I would have liked, but was definitely not the sort of heavy loaf I have come to expect. It also had a wonderful aroma from the orange flavorings. Unfortunately, the anise gave the loaf a disappointing taste. Still, I'm going in the right direction.

Bottom line, if you like anise, you'll probably like this bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment