Tuesday, May 15, 2012

#46 Whole Wheat Naan

Naan is traditionally made with whole wheat flour so its inclusion in this book makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, naan is typically cooked in a tandoor oven at extremely high temperatures so cooking it at home can be less than optimal.

Unlike pita, the previous recipe, this is much simpler. While the dough is prepared the night before, this does not require a soaker or preferement. (You still need to refrigerate the dough overnight.) Baking is done on a stone but with out a steam pan. (I can't help but wonder if a preheated cast iron pan would have worked better. I didn't try it.) The picture shows two naan before being brushed oil or butter. I prefer the butter.

Overall a very nice recipe. But having made naan without the delayed fermentation, I can't really say this is better. Perhaps if I tried them side-by-side?

No comments:

Post a Comment