Tuesday, January 1, 2013

#47 Chapatis, Parathas, and Roti

 
Since my last post was in May, it would appear I've abandon this project.  Actually, as to the baking, I've finished the book early last summer.  As to blogging, well it is fairly obvious that has fallen by the wayside. In fact, the interface has changed enough that I'm having to rediscover how to do the blogging.  Still, I'd like to wrap this up so I hope (but don't swear) to post a little each day until I'm done.  Still, this will translate into as best I can remember in most cases.

This posting is for three very similar Indian breads, Chapatis, Parathas, and Roti. All are nonyeasted flat breads.  The soaker is in fact the dough with Reinhart's recipe. The basic difference among these is how thick or thinly the dough is rolled and shaped.  All are cooked stove top in a skillet.

Chapatis are shown above but it is fairly easy to make all three at one go, as I did, to see which you like best. These worked well, but this is clearly a case of Reinhart reinventing classic Indian breads. I'm not sure how I feel about this since I have only a passing acquaintance with these breads. Personally, I need to go back and make each of these breads several time using traditional recipes before I can pass judgement on Reinhart's.

No comments:

Post a Comment