Saturday, November 26, 2011

#27 Power Bread


If we don't worry about variations and choosing only one of a set (like the last choice with rye), this bread marks the halfway point in the challenge. Overall, this is a bit different from previous loaves. I wasn't quite sure what to make of a power loaf. The connotations, for me at least, are of a heavy, calorie laden bread—not something that is very appealing. The loaf is also a bit unusual in that it has a pre-soaker as well as a soaker and biga. This stretches the recipe out to three days.

Options were for a loaf or rolls (or bars). I cut the recipe in half and made a half-dozen rolls. Since the rolls have an egg-glaze, I skipped steaming the oven with no obvious ill effects. Overall, the taste was a bit unusual but not bad. These weren't particularly heavy, I'm please to report. But I would strongly suggest toasting and eating these with butter.

1 comment:

  1. apetizing looking rolls,toasted with butter sounds really good.
    I'm doing the power bread at the moment, along with the 100% sprouted grain bread. Plan on a loaf for the pb bread.

    ReplyDelete