Saturday, November 26, 2011

#26 45% Rye Bread


The next bread in the challenge is the choice among "Three Rye Hearth Bread Variations" as Reinhart puts it. We were given the choice of a 45% rye, 68% rye, and a 100% rye. Frankly, it seems a little like cheating to only be making one of the three if our goal is to work our way through the book. Still, since I'm not overly fond of rye breads, for now I'll stick to a single loaf. Perhaps I'll come back to the other two later.

My choice was the loaf with the smallest rye content. This is closer to what I prefer and, with the reduced rye content, a much easier loaf to make. I made the recipe pretty much as given. There is an option of adding caraway, nigella, anise seeds or dried mince onions. I went with the latter and regretted it. I really didn't like the aroma of the bread. Had I to do it over, I would have omitted all the optional additions.

I chose a log-shaped loaf and played with another type of scoring that I've often seen on small rye loaves. Overall, a pleasant loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment