Thursday, August 25, 2011

#13: Multigrain Struan


Struan, Reinhart says, launched his baking career. A recipe for struan, in one from or another, can be found in most of Reinhart's books. It certainly seems to be one of the recipes that he is particularly proud of and justifiably so. All the various recipes are for multi-grain breads and use a variety of seeds and grains. There is actually a great deal of leeway in all of his struan recipes when it choosing these. Yet every time I have made one of his struans, it has worked, often with spectacular results. I particularly recommend the recipe in Bread Baker's Apprentice. And, on the off chance you have leftover struan that is starting to go stale, cubes of the bread fried in butter or a good olive oil make an astonishingly good crouton.

For this recipe, I used some of King Arthur's Harvest Grain Blend that I had in the freezer, a product with which I have been particularly pleased. This is an ideal loaf for sandwiches, so I went with the loaf pan, but I expect it would make great dinner rolls as well.

This is a good loaf that I would readily recommend. This particular struan turned out, for me at least, a bit heavier than the others I've made in the past. Still, I just finished a peanut butter sandwich made with this bread and am happy to report that it was quite tasty. A great bread.




No comments:

Post a Comment