Sunday, September 4, 2011

#15: Rye Sandwich Meteil


Because I'm not overly fond of rye breads and, as part of the Hamelman Challenge, I had just made a three and half pound plus miche the day before, I elected to make half the recipe for this bread. And, since I was making half the recipe, I mixed and kneaded the loaf entirely by hand rather than use my stand mixer. Overall, I think this improved the loaf and may make this a standard practice when making rye breads. I used molasses rather than the other choices; I used the optional minced dried onions; and I omitted the optional seeds.

This produced a very nice little boule with a pleasant flavor. It should be noted that the onions dominated the flavor of the bread, but that was fine with me. This did not have a strong rye taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment